As much as I love my current smartphone, I know that the time is coming close when I will have to give it up for a newer device. And by the way exciting gadgets are coming out with such speed and frequency, the time of a phone change is threatening to come sooner than later!
Very recently, on December 23rd, 2014, Samsung launched another exciting smartphone in Indian market. And by what I have seen of it, this new smartphone is sure going to tempt many. Especially those who love big screens and are a fan of Samsung Galaxy Note series.
This brand new smartphone by Samsung is Galaxy Note Edge.
So, what’s special in it? Well, take the word ‘edge’ and combine it to the word ‘display.’ Got the hint? Yes, Note Edge does not just have a big display, it also has a display on its edge or side. The benefit of this display is that it can be accessed even when the flip cover of the device is closed.
Talking about Note Edge, Mr. Asim Warsi, VP, Mobile & IT, Samsung India, said, “Samsung continues with its legacy of pioneering extraordinary innovations and setting new benchmarks in the mobile industry. The Galaxy Note Edge is a stunningly beautiful device equipped with a unique curved screen which not only makes the smartphone distinctive but also delivers a unique way to access information and optimizes functionality.”
Let’s take a quick look at some of the highlights of Note Edge:
Display: If the name of the device hints at the specialty of its display, then you can be sure that the display is one of the most important highlights of the device. Note Edge has a curved display which has been secured inside metal brackets to add durability. Note Edge is equipped with an impressive 5.6 inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display. But even if this big screen is not enough for you, the unique Edge Display of the device provides shortcuts to enable quick access to favourite applications. Even when the cover on the phone is closed off, a simple finger swipe can activate these shortcuts. Also, as the notifications, news etc. are displayed on the edge, it makes the viewing experience of the main display more distraction free. This Edge Screen is not only customizable, but also allows a quick access to tools like Stopwatch, Timer, Flashlight, Voice recorder through its Quick Tool feature. The Edge Screen also has a Night Clock mode that displays time, alarm and weather.
Camera: Another important highlight of Note Edge is its superior camera. It has 3.7 MP front camera with a F1.9 lens. It allows 90 degree shooting by default. But it also has the Wide Selfie mode by which the user can cover up to 120 degrees in a shot. The rear camera is 16 MP and is equipped with the Smart OIS which ensures shake free photos even if the surrounding is dark, Another important feature of camera of Note Edge is that camera controls are on the Edge display. This makes them easier to access and removes the distraction from the main screen.
S Pen: And of course, since it is a Note device, it comes with the convenience of S Pen features. And these features have been designed to make every day tasks like taking notes, selecting content, clipping an image etc. easier and quicker. The S Pen’s Air Command functionality and features like Action Memo, Smart Select, Screen Write makes creating and collecting content on the Note device much easier. Note Edge provides the users multiple note-taking methods. These include the Photo Note method which allows the user to take a picture and edit it.
Battery: A big screen phone also needs bigger battery power. But nobody wants to spend hours waiting for that big battery to charge up. Samsung Note Edge has 3000mAh battery with an Adaptive Fast Charging feature that charges the battery from 0% to 50% with a speed that is 30% faster than conventional charging. And in case of emergency situations of the battery running low without any chance of charging it soon, Note Edge has the Ultra Power Saving Mode to make the battery last as long as possible by keeping only the most essential apps running.
By reading all this, you must have guessed by now that Note Edge is a premium smartphone. So of course, it comes with a premium price tag. It has a market price of INR 64,900. Note Edge will be available in Indian market from the first week of January 2015 in Charcoal Black and Frost White colours.
SPECIFICATIONS OF SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE EDGE:
- Dimension: 51.3 x 82.4 x 8.3 mm / 174 g
- Display: 5.6” Quad HD+ Super AMOLED (2560 X (1440+160))
- Processor: 2.7 GHz Quad Core Processor
- OS: Android 4.4 (KitKkat)
- Memory: 3GB RAM + 32GB Internal memory, Supports microSD up to 128GB
- Battery: 3000mAh, Fast Charging (Adaptive Fast Charging & Quick Charge 2.0)
- Front Camera: 3.7MP + F/1.9 Selfie (90º), Wide selfie (120º)
- Rear Camera: 16M+ Smart OIS/ Fast AF, Live HDR (Rich Tone)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2X2 MIMO), Download Booster, NFC, Bluetooth® v 4.1, (BLE),ANT+ , USB2.0, MHL 3.0, IR LED (Remote Control)
- Network: 2.5G (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) : 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, 3G (HSPA＋ 42Mbps): 50/900/1900/2100 MHz, 4G (LTE Cat.6 300/50Mbps)
- Sensor: Gesture, Accelerometer, Geo-magnetic, Gyroscope, RGB ambient light, Proximity, arometer, Hall Sensor, Finger Scanner, UV, HRM
- S Pen Features: S Pen Features : Air View, Air Command (Smart Select, Action Memo, Image Clip, Screen Write), Direct Pen Input, Pen Select
- Additional Features: Multi window, Ultra Power Saving Mode, Voice Recorder (Normal Mode, Interview Mode, Meeting Mode, Voice Memo), S Health 3.5, Dynamic Lock Screen, Briefing
- Edge screen UX : Revolving Interaction, Immersive apps (Camera, Video, S Note), Ticker board, Express me, Quick Tools, Night Clock, etc.
- Colours: Charcoal Black, Frost White
- Price: 64,900 INR