If you have been following the news updates about Samsung’s new flagship devices S6 and S6 Edge, you already know that the two have now been launched in India. Samsung unveiled S6 and S6 Edge in India on 23rd March. However, the two devices will be available in market for Indian consumers only from 10th April, 2015. Both will be available in three memory variants.
Flagship devices by Samsung are always eagerly awaited by smartphone users as they are sure to bring with them new technologies and set new benchmarks in technological innovations. At the same time, it is also true that Samsung has been on the receiving end of some criticism about the looks of their devices. S5 especially was considered by several as disappointment in terms of appearance. And so, for their latest flagship devices S6 and S6 Edge, Samsung claims to have started from the ground up to bring to the users devices that are as stunning on the outside as they are in the inside.
Well, the S6 and S6 Edge do look good. With the launch of these two devices, for the first time we are seeing a variant of a device that is more expensive than the main flagship device and actually looks more enticing. S6 Edge is a sure winner in terms of looks and ‘coolness’ measure. It is a device that your hands would itch to hold! And no, I’m not exaggerating. I’m only saying what I myself am feeling.
The internet will already be flooded by now with posts about these two smartphones. I myself have already told you about them when they were launched in MWC. But as they are now in India, they deserve another post, don’t they?
So let me share with you what I think the S6 features of the S6 and S6 Edge. That is, the Super Six features:
1. Slim and Stunning Appearance: The technology gurus talk about the specifications and the performance of a gadget. But the first thing that a common user notices in a smartphone is its appearance. Well, tastes vary and nothing can please all. But when it comes to appearance, the S6 and S6 Edge have much in their favour. In fact, these two devices are even being called as the prettiest galaxies ever by some reviewers. They are slim, and their metal and glass body has a more simplistic design. Finally Samsung has got rid of the plastic body at least for their latest flagship device. And it works much in their favour. I definitely like the appearance of S6 better than S5 and S4. S6 measures 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8mm and weighs 138g. S6 Edge measures 142.1 x 70.1 x 7.0mm and weighs 132g. Both have 5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) Super AMOLED display with the 577ppi which is the highest yet pixel density in a smartphone, The display of S6 Edge is elegantly curved on left and right edge. This dual display od Edge, besides enabling added functionality and providing better viewing experience, makes the device look even more visually appealing.
2. Speed and Performance: Charms may strike the sight but merit wins the soul, right? And the merit for a smartphone lies in its speed, stability and performance. Of course, every flagship device boasts of having the best in class performance boosting specifications. S6 and S6 edge claim no less. They assure of swifter and more stable performance with their Quad 2.1GHz + Quad 1.5Ghz, Octacore application processor and 3GB, LPDDR4 RAM and LTE Cat.6 (300/50Mbps) network connectivity. To ensure speedier performance, the smartphones don’t allow use of microSD card to extend storage space. While that may ensure better speed of performance, the absence of the microsSD card may not please all users.
3. Selfie and other Camera Features: Camera features are quickly becoming one of the main highlights of most smartphones. Samsung’s S6 and S6 Edge are no different. Both the devices have 16MP OIS rear camera and 5MP front camera. Through the new Quick Launch feature the camera can be launched in 0.7 seconds even when the display is off. This Quick Launch of camera is activated by simple double pressing of the Home Key. The camera of these new smartphones also has Tracking AF to help click better pictures of moving persons. Just tap on the screen to select the person you want to track for better shot even when they are moving. The rear as well as the front camera also has Auto Real-time HDR for more vibrant pictures, Both the cameras are equipped with F1.9, lens for brighter images and videos even in low light conditions. Other camera features include High Clear Zoom, IR Detect White Balance, Virtual Shot, Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Pro Mode and Selective Focus
4. Super Charge: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge aren’t just swift in performance and clicking of photos, they also claim to be swift at charging. S6 has 2,550mAh battery and S6 Edge has 2,600mAh battery. The batteries of both the smartphones are non-removable. That’s a pity. It’s always more convenient to replace a removable battery. But I guess, those who buy such expensive smartphones don’t replace old batteries. They just replace their smartphones with newer and more exciting ones! Anyway, both smartphones have fully embedded WPC and PMA certified wireless charging technology for easier universal wireless charging. That is, they can charge on any wireless pad that supports WPC and PMA standards.Both the smartphones also have the Super Charging feature which ensures 1.5 times faster charging than the GALAXY S5. The Super Charge can provide upto 4 hours of usage after 10 minutes of charging. Both the devices have large and high-resolution display which consumes a lot of power. It still remains to be seen how well the battery manages to perform, compared to the batteries of other smartphones. But its super charging feature would surely prove useful.
5. Security and Durability: Another feature that was highlighted at the launch event of S6 and S6 Edge was its security features. These include the upgraded Samsung KNOX which is the end-to-end secure mobile platform promising defense-grade security features to safeguard users’ data and privacy. Both the devices also have Fingerprint Scanner for preventing prying eyes from getting entry into the device. Another security feature that these devices have is called Find My Mobile which helps in securing lost devices.
As for durability, both smartphones have metal body which is thinner but much stronger than other smartphones. Also, the display is protected by the toughest yet Corning® Gorilla Glass® 4.
6. Simpler Interface: While designing S6 and S6 Edge, Samsung has also given attention to users’ complaints about the bloated Touchwz user interface that all Samsung Android phones have. And as a result, the UI of S6 and S6 Edge has been made simple and with fewer multi-level navigations. The colour scheme is lighter and brighter. The user interface has been made simpler with the use of text labels in place of symbol buttons, for example in camera. The whole interface has more airy feel. However, not all may like the colour coded interface that has icons in shades of orange and green etc.. I too would have liked the interface better had it more sophisticated and less cartoony appearance. But leaving the colour scheme aside, the interface is definitely simpler and more intuitive.
These are the highlights of the features of Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. But of course, they have plenty of other well thought out features and utilities too. For example, the edge of the S6 Edge can be customized with favourite contacts shortcuts and can give colour-coded notifications of calls from these favourite contacts. And of course, it also displays notifications of missed calls, messages and mails and also useful information like time, alarm etc. Another feature of these two smartphones that I can recall is responding to a call with a preset message by just putting your finger at the finger scanner.
As much as I liked Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, I do wish they had removable battery and the ability to add microSD card. And I’m sure I am not alone in wishing it. Also, the camera at the back protrudes a little marring the beauty of the device. A more unobtrusive camera would have worked better in enhancing the simple elegance of these smartphones. And I did not much like the flip covers of these devices either. They seemed to rob away the slim beauty of S6 and S6 Edge.
However, all considering, Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Eddge have all that’s needed for a winning device. They look good, perform well and are loaded with useful features. Three variants are available for both the devices and their prices, although premium, still are competitive. The Samsung GALAXY S6 is priced at INR 49,900 for 32GB, INR 55,900 for 64GB and INR 61,900 for 128GB. GALAXY S6 edge is priced at INR 58,900 for 32GB, INR 64,900 64GB and INR 70,900 for 128GB. Both the devices will be available in India from April 10, 2015. The pre-booking is already open.
Finally, I’ll just say that with these two flagship devices, Samsung has scored big. S6 and S6 Edge are designed to please.
Here, for your perusal are the main specifications:
|GALAXY S6||GALAXY S6 edge|
|Network||LTE Cat.6 (300/50Mbps)|
|Display||5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED||5.1’’ Quad HD(2560×1440) 577ppi, Super AMOLED, Dual edge|
|AP||Quad 2.1GHz + Quad 1.5Ghz, Octacore application processor|
|OS||Android 5.0 (Lollipop)|
|Camera||16MP OIS(rear), 5MP (front)|
|Audio||Audio Codec : MP3, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, OPUS|
|Audio Format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA|
|Camera Features||Quick Launch, Tracking AF, Auto Real-time HDR(Front & Rear) , F1.9, Low Light Video(Front & Rear), High Clear Zoom, IR Detect White Balance, Virtual Shot, Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Pro Mode, Selective Focus|
|Additional Features||Ultra Power Saving Mode|
|S Health 4.0|
|Microsoft Apps(OneDrive 115GB for 2 years, OneNote)|
|S Finder, S Voice|
|Google Mobile Services||Chrome, Drive, Photos, Gmail, Google, Google+, Google Settings, Hangouts, Maps, Play Books, Play Games, Play Newsstand, Play Movie & TV, Play Music, Play Store, Voice Search, YouTube|
|Connectivity||WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz),HT80MIMO(2×2)620Mbps, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Mobile hotspotBluetooth®: v4.1, A2DP, LE, apt-X, ANT+USB: USB 2.0NFCIR Remote|
|Sensor||Accelerometer, Light, Gyroscope, Proximity, Compass, Barometer, Fingerprint, Hall, HRM|
|Memory||RAM: 3GB,LPDDR4Internal Memory: 32/64/128 GB, UFS 2.0|
|Wireless Charging||WPC1.1(4.6W Output) & PMA 1.0(4.2W) compatible|
|Dimension||143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8mm, 138g||142.1 x 70.1 x 7.0mm, 132g|