Smartphones have become an inseparable part of our lives today. Right from the moment we wake up to the moment we go to sleep, almost every minute of our lives are connected with these devices in one way or the other. However, with thousands of options available today, choosing the right smartphone can get really confusing. The 7 important factors listed below can help you choose the perfect smartphone for your needs. Take a look:
- Price – The first factor to consider is your budget. How much do you want to spend on a smartphone? Can you get a good deal which also fits all your needs? Is the device of your dreams worth a major chunk of your salary or can you limit yourself to a comparatively cheaper device? If you find the device of your dreams but are exceeding your budget, you may want to consider taking a mobile loan. You need to be very clear about your needs and more importantly your budget before buying a smartphone.
- Operating System – Android or iOS is the big question which most of the smartphones buyers face. Both these operating systems have their own pros and cons. Android offers more accessibility as compared to iOS. It offers a home screen with launchers that are freely configurable. You can choose from multiple options for personalizing the app icons, keyboard etc. External apps which aren’t available on the official app store can also be downloaded in the form of Android Package Kits. With iOS, you get a closed system which is simple to use and has less weak points comparatively. You can enjoy regular updated which are directly released. But, the simplicity of iOS is also seen as its downside by many. You hardly have any options to customize your device.
- Display – It is the second most important factor while buying a smartphone. Size, resolution and display technology are some of the aspects which should be considered. To make the right choice, first decide the purpose of the device. If you need to work with pictures or videos frequently, then a high-resolution display and a large screen device is what you need. Bigger screens come with their own set of pros and cons. You will obviously have to shelve out more money for such smartphones. If the resolution of pictures or videos doesn’t matter to you, there are some good options available in cheaper models as well.
- Internal Space – Check for the internal memory and RAM and get clear picture by taking a look at how much space the preinstalled apps take up. You can always use a MicroSD card to expand the phone’s storage capacity. However, a larger internal memory is always recommended over the option of using an external memory card. Understand your requirements first. Do you actually need a device with a 64 or 128 GB of internal memory? Will you be using it to store heavy apps, files, movies etc.? If the answer is yes, then go ahead. Otherwise, a device with 32 GB of internal space is sufficient for you. Besides, you can also make the most of cloud services to save space on your device.
- Camera – A smartphone is the new camera today! People prefer their smartphones for capturing pictures and recording videos simply because of the convenience they offer. Latest phones boast a 13 megapixel camera or more, but even that can be sometimes insufficient depending on the user’s need. Consider the camera speed, image quality, autofocus and other such aspects of the phone’s camera before choosing one. Though, you don’t necessarily need to shelve out a lot of money for a phone with a good camera. Even smartphones in the medium price range come with a decent camera.
- Battery life – This is one of the most important factors to consider before choosing a smartphone. We are tuned to a lifestyle which comprises multitasking and instant communication. The life of the battery depends on multiple factors such as the usage, the processor, the size of the screen etc. Choose a device which offers 3.00 mAh or a larger battery. Also remember that most of the phones come with non-removable and slim batteries which offer some advantages in terms of maintenance. You need not worry about dust accumulation or damaging the internal parts while removing it.
- Extra features – With companies fighting to give a tough competition to each other, users can now look forward to exciting additional features which enhance the user experience. For instance, mobile payment is fast becoming common. For people who prefer doing monetary transactions on phone, the NFC feature is important. A dual-sim capability is also one of the most preferred features in today’s fast-paced lives. Other useful features to look for in a smartphone are fingerprint security, expandable storage, water-resistant feature etc.
There are thousands of options available for every budget. If budget is the only constraint for you, consider a personal line of credit, a useful tool which allows you to borrow money incrementally.
Shiv Nanda is a financial analyst who currently lives in Bangalore and works with MoneyTap, India’s first app-based credit-line. Shiv is a true finance geek, and his friends love that. They always rely on him for advice on their investment choices, budgeting skills, personal financial matters and when they want to get a loan. He has made it his life’s mission to help and educate people on various financial topics, so email him your questions at email@example.com.